Thursday, May 24, 2018

Bloggin' about nothin'

When last we connected here I was writing about my surge forward into the next fifty days of #The100DayProject.  The surge has stalled - a late night plus an early morning plus a long day plus intense heat has driven my ambition level just south of comatose.  Feels like a good night for writing about.....

**The heat!  Ugh, I am so ready for winter.  Temps soared into the 90s today with a humidity of roughly 126%, making the dew point....hideous.  Some folks thrive in this kind of weather; I have never been one of them.  Maybe it's psychological more than physiological, but as soon as the mercury gets into the 80s I start to slow down, and on a day like today I do nothing.  I'd take fifteen below zero over a heat wave every. single. time.  Oh, and just for funsies it's supposed to stay hotter than blazes for the next week.  I'm heading to the basement; somebody come get me when the first frost hits.  Opening with the heat was probably the wrong way to go here.  Let's try.....

**Retirement!  Up early today to prep for a retirement breakfast for the co-worker who interviewed me twenty years ago, became my mentor my first year, and has been my teaching teammate ever since.  In one week she will arrive at school as a teacher for the final time after......ummm......a lot of years of teaching.  I can't imagine retiring.  Check that - I imagine retiring all the time.  Rather, I can't see a setting in which I am able to retire.  Retirement procedures for teachers like me are far different than for teachers like her.  I joke that I will retire a few days before my funeral.....but it's probably true.  This has taken a sour turn....how about we move on to....

**Star Wars!  Not long ago in a galaxy very, very near, I wrote an entry about Star Wars.  Tonight the latest Star Wars movie, "Solo", opens.  My daughter worked at the theater and said the crowd was pretty sparse.  I knew I should have gone.  I hate to admit it, but my enthusiasm about this movie is pretty shallow.  The trailers look fine and, well, it's Star Wars for cryin' out loud, but Han Solo was never a favorite character of mine so why should I get fired up for an entire movie about him?  And now there's a movie being made about Boba Fett, too, which begs the question:  Huh?  A bounty hunter/villian that had maybe ten minutes of screen time in the first three movies now gets an entire movie, too?  Is our entertainment industry that desperate for ideas?  You know, this is taking a sour turn, too......let's get happy, shall we?  It's almost....

**Summer vacation!  Four days of school are left, four days of school are left, four days of school are left.  Not that I'm counting.  Really, I haven't been counting - but it's pretty tough not to now.  One week from today the student contact year will be over.  Then it's three straight months of summer.  Three months of bugs.  Three months of heat.  Three months of humidity.  Ugh.  I've gone full circle here.....and the circle seems to be spinning around the drain.

Over and out.  Tomorrow I'll make a better effort to suck down some happy pills before I start to write.


No comments:

Post a Comment