Friday, May 25, 2018

Weekend Avoidance

Why do people bother trying to go anywhere or do anything on holiday weekends?  Especially Memorial Day weekend?  The traffic on this Friday is always horrific, so the "holiday getaway" starts with stressful and inefficient traveling.  Any destination one person chooses will be chosen by dozens and dozens of other people.  The Citidiots streaming north in search of outdoor adventures will only find...more Citidiots.  "Are you going to the lake?" I get asked.  I reply with a look that says "Are you insane?" mixed with "Do I look insane?"  As much as I love to fish a lake would be the very last place I'd want to end up this weekend.

This Memorial weekend promises to be extra miserable, with temps in the high 80s and low 90s predicted through the middle of next week.  A coworker is going camping - sleeping in a tent would be like wrapping yourself in a huge burrito shell and crawling into your oven for eight hours.  Surrounded by oodles of other "outdoorsy" people doing the same.  I have to believe the sight and smell of campgrounds on Monday will rival a Walking Dead scene.

I actually am going to travel, but not until Saturday morning.  I'm heading to my Fortress of Solitude to plant more trees.  Hot days aren't exactly idea tree-planting conditions, but they need to get in the ground and it's supposed to rain a few days next week, so it needs to be done.  Amount of traffic on the roads on an early Saturday morning?  Very little.  Number of humans in my fields?  Zero.  Percentage of me that desires to be whooping it up with family and friends for the holiday?  Also zero.

The humans can have their campgrounds, their lakes, their beaches, their hiking trails, or whatever else they do en masse these next three days.  I'll take my stream, my fields, my trees, and my silence.

Stay safe everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment