Saturday, May 19, 2018

Expect the worst

A few days ago I posted this entry about excellence and failure and restart buttons and probably some other wise, feel good stuff.  Tuesday I wrote it, today I had to live it.

It's daughter weekend at my house, which means I get to cook.  A lot.  Throughout the last few months I've been searching for, and trying, some new recipes, hoping to add a dish or two to my collection of tried and true meals.  This weekend's attempt:  fish tacos.  Twice I've had them at restaurants and loved them; seeing as how I can't help but catch fish in all seasons we eat fish quite often.  I thought fish tacos would be a win-win since they're A) delicious, and B) different than frying the fish like we do 99% of the time.

I've been talking up this tasty dish for weeks, especially this week as I gathered ingredients and figured out a weekend menu.  Totally went against one of my life mottos: Expect the worst, you'll rarely be disappointed.  Despite my best marketing attempts, my daughters were still skeptical, as if they had read this post about unusual foods.  Their skepticism was justified, however - the tacos fell short of my lofty predictions and expectations.  Expect the worst......always expect the worst.

They weren't that bad, but for the second time in the last month a recipe goes in the trash after its maiden creation.  And I hit the reset button on my search for the perfect fish taco recipe.  Tomorrow we go back to the can't-miss foods - waffles for breakfast, grilled burgers for lunch, grilled chicken/bacon/alfredo pizza for supper, along with a rhubarb/strawberry crisp for a dessert - to get my confidence back and regain my girls' trust in my cooking.

Tomorrow may also be the day I write something that isn't just a weak attempt at connecting a bunch of old posts to a new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment