Thursday, May 17, 2018

Spring Stinks

I will follow up my rant from yesterday about lawn care with a very short burst of positivity towards my least favorite season of the year.  It's no secret, at least it won't be seven words from now, that I don't like spring very much.  I won't get into the reasons why.  In this entry I'd rather point out the one thing I actually do love about springtime - the smells.

In my lawn mowing tirade I neglected to mention how good a freshly mown lawn smells.  Especially when the lawn is bursting with young, new grass...springtime grass.  Better yet is that scent on a warm evening with little breeze, and some humidity to keep the smell hanging close in the heavy air.

Since Monday the flowering crabs and apple trees have begun to bloom, and the lilacs won't be far behind.  We are in the first few days of the best smelling two weeks of the year as these trees and bushes shower us with their perfume.  I might actually mow my lawn again before June just so I can drink in the scented cocktail of fresh grass and springtime blooms.

A less natural, but every bit as tantalizing, smell of spring is that of backyard grilling.  I'm not a grilling fanatic and don't cook outside very often, and really it's not the smell of my own grill that I love.  It's the smell of someone else's dinner that catches my olfactory attention the best.  Be it out for a walk or a bike ride or simply a perfect wind blowing by my house, the first few springtime chances I have to enjoy the scent of burning hunks of meat make all other thoughts drift away.  Getting a whiff of grilled burgers while sitting on a freshly mowed lawn under a blooming lilac would no doubt be the utopia of stink.

There is no more fragrant month in the year than May.  Sandwiched between the drab dullness of April and suddenly summery June, May rarely disappoints the senses.  The warmth, the colors, and those wonderful, wonderful smells.  Enjoy them while they last.

No comments:

Post a Comment