Saturday, June 2, 2018

Rain King

A rainy Saturday.  I know the weekend warriors of the world weren't too happy with today's weather, nor were teachers or students starting vacation or graduating seniors hosting parties.  But I'm not ashamed to say I loved it.  The rain was beating on the rooftop as I awoke this morning, it's doing the same as I write this right now.  As it also did while I slept on the couch this afternoon.  And that is the beauty of a rainy day - the freedom from any and all outside chores.  It's as if one's job list gets sliced in half and replaced with tasks such as "read", "sleep", "ponder", "sleep".....and "nap".

Rain is life.  It is cleansing.  It is refreshing.  It is liberating.  Of course the high blue sky of a sunny summer day holds appeal to the masses, but give me a rainy day as often as possible.  Today's rain will make the berries fuller, the flowers brighter, the grass (ugh) greener.  Already this spring I'm noticing huge bursts of growth on trees and shrubs, and an all-day rain like today is only going to push that growth further.  The tomato and pepper plants I sank in the ground this week are jumping for joy.  Yes, the humans may not appreciate a wet day, but nature sure does.

So thank you, Mom Nature, for soaking our lands today.  Dry days are coming, probably even dry weeks or a month, when we'll wish for what we had today.  Your timing wasn't exactly impeccable but moisture is moisture regardless of days or schedules.  Your gift to the earth was a gift to my family as well; the rest we all needed was granted with every downpour, shower, and bellow of thunder.  Tomorrow you'll send sunshine back to us, and we'll return to your great outdoors to smells of freshness and growth with feelings of liberation from the walls inside, secretly grateful for today's "imprisonment".

A rainy Saturday.  Can't wait for the next one......

No comments:

Post a Comment