Friday, June 22, 2018

New Waters

At the arrival of the New Year I chose my #OneWord for 2018 and wrote about it in this post.  The word was - and still is - EXPLORE.  And by telling you I've pretty much defeated the purpose of adding a link to the post, haven't I?

I haven't exactly been a modern day Magellan with my efforts to live up to my #OneWord.  Oh sure, I've done a little of this (coached a varsity level volleyball team for the first time) and some of that (fished on opening day for the first time in a looonnnngg time), and of course I veered off into the world of mobile phone technology.  But none of that stuff felt like true exploration; all were more like opportunities provided by circumstance.  Until today.

Today I went fishing to a lake I've never seen in a corner of the county I've never been in.  Ok, ok - so I wasn't Neil Armstrong bopping off across the moon......baby steps, people, baby steps.  The day was warm but not hot, a scarce breeze was blowing, so I decided it was time to find a new lake.  I studied a map of the county, read some lake survey results, and chose the lake I would fish.......until I noticed another lake slightly east of the one I chose.  A lake with a better name....better survey data......better water quality......a lake that somehow tugged a little stronger at my thoughts of exploring.  Decision made, I hooked up the boat and was off.

And I chose.......wisely.  The lake was beautiful, the water clarity as good as advertised.  The fishing was decent enough - not terrific, not terrible - to keep me on my toes.  The drive to and from took me through scenic lands and forests, and was a good reminder that I am surrounded by some high quality landscapes in this east-central section of the state.  In fact, today I decided that were it not for the wilderness paradise I have waiting for me up north there are pieces of land around here that would be suitable for me to die on.  All in all it was a terrific fishing trip, one that far exceeded my hopes and expectations.  I boated six of these....



....none of which were very big, but they all put up a good tussle.  That's a largemouth bass, by the way, my favorite fish to target in the summer.   I also lost a bass that might have been the biggest one of the day - but isn't that what's always said about the one that gets away?!?  Caught a few accidental sunnies, and one little hammer handle northern pike.  As I said, not terrific fishing but I think the lake has potential for some really good bass and sunfish action.

What's the lake, you ask?  It's the one I shall return to alone or with blindfolded companions.  It's a small lake that's off the beaten path, and when you find a hidden gem you don't go giving a bunch of clues to the quarry, know what I'm sayin'?  I get disgusted with some of the lakes I fish in this area of the state - too many weeds, too many people, not enough fish.  But this lake was as close to an up-north kind of lake as I've found around my area, so I'd like to keep it that way.  Quiet....calm.....mine.

With a successful day of exploration in the books I sign off for the evening, leaving you with the image I was left with as I loaded up this afternoon.  Call it a clue if you'd like....if you can find the lake based on this picture I will gladly share its waters as a reward for your ingenuity.


No comments:

Post a Comment