Sunday, June 3, 2018

It begins...

You can't see me (I hope) so you'll have to believe that I've been sitting and thinking about tonight's entry for more minutes than I care to count.  I've had nights like this before, and very likely will again; too many mini-topics bopping around my brain, not enough time or energy to write about any of them.  Except this one...

On this Sunday evening my daughters and I walked, cooked and ate supper, lounged, watched a movie, read, relaxed...because there is NO school tomorrow.  There are always a handful of Sundays during a school year that are followed by a Monday with no school, but even those Sundays have the smell of school hanging over them.  One would have to look as far back as early August to find the last Sunday that was free from the necessity of being somewhere the following day.

You know by now how much I dislike the season of summer.  The heat, the bugs, the noise.....truly a season of suffering.  Made much more bearable by the freedom of school vacation!  Getting up when I want.  Getting dressed if I want.  Staying up late without fear of exhaustion the following day.  If living without structure is wrong then I don't wanna be right!  It's not exactly educationally correct to gloat about how great summer vacation is....and I really don't care.  Gloating....gloating......gloating....

I'll be going to school tomorrow, but only for a little while, and only because I choose to.  Might go back another day or two this week, too...and I might not.  And right there is the beauty of summers off:  choice.  Teachers will try to tell you that they really don't have three months off because they spend some of June and most of August at school.  I will tell you there is a HUGE difference between going to work when you have to and going because you choose to.  So yeah, we have three months off.

Students were done Thursday, teachers were done Friday, yesterday and today were days off, but it wasn't until this evening that I felt "summer mode" starting to kick in already.  No pressure to prep for Monday, no time spent memorizing the week's schedule.  No pressure to send the kids to bed early, no need to watch the clock at all.  Just living.  The nine months of school get long and stressful and hard to manage sometimes - but it's all worth it now.  Tomorrow I start my yearly mini-retirement; by the end of the week I won't know what day it is.  By the middle of next week I'll be......geez, I'm getting hounded by a reader to get this thing posted.  Summer vacation is glorious.  If only it could be in the fall....

No comments:

Post a Comment