Tuesday, June 26, 2018

All I do....

....is put people on fish.  Took a trip back to my new favorite lake, which I have now decided will henceforth be known as Secret Lake #6.  Took a companion this time, a bass fishin' buddy who has shared my boat a time or two in summers prior.  I had bragged up this lake after my first trip, so I was a little worried I may have set the expectations bar too high.  And the weather was against us - it rained all morning and the wind this afternoon/evening blew much stronger than it was forecast to.  From the east, no less - wind from the east, fish bite the least you know.  So everything was adding up to equal one disastrous outing.

But it was awesome (and you know my feelings about that word).  For the buddy.  He boated a dozen bass, lost another half dozen.  Also caught a few small northerns.  Me, well....I've had better success stories.  Half my energy was put towards controlling the boat in said wind.  The other half was wasted trying to catch fish.  The rough water took my topwater baits (my preferred method of bassin') out of play, so I went with a Carolina rigged Powerworm, which produced enough bites for me to discover the line on that reel is in need of replacement.  Every time I set the hook I broke the line.  Which wouldn't have been a huge problem except by the time I gave up on that rod I'd lost all of my bullet sinkers....so that was the end of worm fishing, my second favorite bait.  I eventually caught a couple of bass and two small northerns, but it just wasn't my night.

Though I don't really care.  My companion had a great time and the lake I thought might be a keeper has become a no-doubter.  An evening that wasn't good for much else turned into a terrific evening on a very peaceful lake (aside from the cursed howling wind).  Life was good this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment