Thursday, April 5, 2018

Circle up

The first home game of the 2018 Minnesota Twins baseball season coincides with the third day of #The100DayProject I'm attempting via an unending string of blog entries.  As I write these words Mitch Garver has just finished circling the bases after his first career home run....which came on the heels of Miguel Sano's bases circling trot after his home run.  Twins lead 3-2!  But I digress.....

"Circle the bases" seems an odd term when the bases create the four vertices of a perfect square.  Running station to station (from base to base while stopping at each base, for you less civilized sports fans) certainly bears no resemblance to a circle.  Hitting a home run allows a runner to move all the way around the bases in one motion, but I've never seen a home run trot path that looks like a circle; "circle-ish" would be the nearest descriptor.  I suppose circle the bases rolls off the tongue a bit better than go ahead and run all the way around the bases until you get back to home base because you had a really long hit there.  Again, I digress....

If sports were symbolized by geometric shapes I wonder if the circle might not become baseball's shape?  Obviously the ball is a circle, as is the barrel of the bat.  The pitcher's mound is a perfect circle.  And from that mound a "circle change" can be an effective out pitch for crafty lefties.  I've beaten circle the bases into the ground.  Outfielders will occasionally have to "circle under the ball" before catching it.  Many stadiums are shaped like a circle, though there is no obvious central point on the field from which to measure concyclic spots on the stadium's circumference.  And, unfortunately, we baseball people in Minnesota have to put up with this.

Another homer, another circling of the bases!  4-2 Twins.....

Another orbital term, circle the drain, comes to mind as I wonder how many days I'm going to last in this #project.  My apologies for today's drivel.....wasn't sure what else to do when "concyclic" became day three's word-of-the-day.  Here's hoping for more on day four!


No comments:

Post a Comment