Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Late September Blog About Nothing

Haven't blogged about nothing for a couple of months.  Not terribly sure what I can come up with for this one...it's late on the night of a long day.  And my toes are cold.  See?  I'm already grasping for topics.

**I held an all-school assembly (in a K-2 school, so it's not nearly as impressive as it sounds) a couple of weeks ago to talk to our students about giving and returning greetings to others properly.  Many times we teachers had might as well greet The Walking Dead instead of our students - at least the zombies would try to eat us.  Our students hear a "good morning" and walk by with glazed eyes like they are alone in the hallway.  Anyway, to combat this I demonstrated to all of our students what a proper greeting looks like and encouraged them to make our school a happier place by greeting as many people as they could each day.  I told them I looked forward to seeing them in the hall, and that I would do my best to learn their names so I could greet them as perfectly as possible.  Fast forward to today - half of the Kindergarten students line up for busses at the end of the day right outside my classroom.  I happened to be returning to my room as they were waiting, as opposed to hiding in my room like I usually do at the end of a day.  Naturally, I started hearing "Hi Mr. Lukenbill!" from about 50 different directions as Ksters on all sides of me showed me their proper greeting skills.  I put on my best smile (the one that's a half-step up from a grimace) and started waving and giving out some "Hi theres" and "Have a great nights" while I made eye contact with as many little faces as I could. As I entered my room I heard one clear voice disgustedly proclaim:  "He didn't even recognize me."  Sixty kids, all of them four feet shorter than me, none of them standing still, most of them calling out my name......and I get dinged for not naming one of them.  You know it's been a tough week when the K kids are calling out your shortcomings.

**This was a pretty good blog about nothing.

**I blogged on Sunday about making sure we remember to LIVE as we go through life.  I've been giving it my best shot.  I mowed my lawn a couple of days ago for the first time in a month, and these last two days I've taken the time to stop and enjoy the sight of no city ordinance reminders on my front door.  I drove to my night class this afternoon and soaked in the beauty of the fall colors while trying to figure out how to knock off one of the many Sandhill Cranes in fields so I could finally dine on the Ribeye of the Sky.  I made myself throw out the raw chicken breast that I forgot to cook this weekend, the one that was starting to smell more like cantaloupe than the cantaloupe, so I could avoid food poisoning and actually continue to live.  I'm pretty much crushing this living thing.

**"Don't let idiots ruin your life."  My favorite Tweet of the week.  I've followed the advice beautifully - I've completely stopped listening to myself.

**This one was kinda lame.

**The MN Twins have now lost 102 games.  My heart hurts.  Good thing we financed a new stadium for them so they could remain competitive.  Memo to ownership and management:  You were going to use revenue from the new stadium to keep the team competitive!!  Hello?  Is no one else remembering this?  Oh well, at least we weren't dumb enough in this state to build a billion dollar stadium for a team that only plays eight home games each year.  Wait - what?

**It's Homecoming Week in the school of my employment.  My daughters are having a great week, very excited about all the hoopla.  I remember my own Homecoming days with some fondness...my school had a fall and winter Homecoming, actually....but now Homecoming isn't much more than "meh" in my life.  Maybe it's because this place isn't really home to me.  Maybe it's because I'm 25 years removed from the excitement of being in the Homecoming game.  Maybe it's because I'm 25 years removed from the excitement of being excited about something.  I don't do excitement anymore.  Too easy to be let down.  "Cautious subdued enthusiasm" is about as wild as I get.

**Since the blog about nothing has turned into "the blog with more links than a chain factory" I'll throw one more in.  One of my favorite posts that hardly anyone read is right here.

Thanks for reading.  Enjoy your day, night, life.....

No comments:

Post a Comment