Monday, May 9, 2016

Home Is Where The Other Places Aren't

I went home this weekend. 

I’ve been thinking about the concept of “home” quite a bit recently, with regard to both my personal and professional self.  As it usually does, my thinking turned into searching which led to reading, which finally led to discovery.  I came across an online forum driven by the lead question “What do you consider ‘home’?”  A simple response in the middle of many rambling oratories became the end of my search:

Home is the place you would go if given the choice to live anywhere.

Aldo Leopold had his Shack in Wisconsin, Superman his Fortress of Solitude in the Arctic, I’ve got my parents’ farm in the northern tier of Minnesota – the place I would choose out of all to spend every day that I could.  I reference Mr. Leopold as my muse in the development of my land ethic, though I would fool no one into believing my understanding of nature resembles his.  Nor do I resemble Superman (“Blunderdud” is a more fitting moniker most days), but I often refer to my parents’ place as my Fortress of Solitude…the one place in the world I can escape the sights, sounds, and presence of the world.

The Farm is a sprawling 140-acre parcel of land that sits at the end of a dead end road and is surrounded by several thousand acres of undeveloped wilderness that is open to public use but easily accessible by only us.  Simply put, it’s perfect.  My parents’ land is mostly open, the surrounding land completely wooded.  The fields are a mix of flatlands and rolling hills, and a stream runs through the middle of the property.  Over the last 15 years my dad and I have planted roughly 25,000 tree seedlings, which are now big enough to provide cover for a variety of critters and birds.

The majority of my limited time on the Farm is spent harvesting something, developing habitat, or working on parent-driven projects.  This weekend was divided between searching for morel mushrooms on Saturday and deer farming on Sunday.  Exhaustion and sunburn are signs of a productive weekend.

The mushroom hunt took my dad and I from the Dinner Pail Road straight east to Vance’s Swamp by way of the North Walking Ridge.  A few ‘shrooms were found near the Crossroads deer stand and a couple more by the Hangman’s Tree, but pickin’s were slim compared to other years.  After a couple of hours we headed west towards Spring Crick (pronounced “crick”, a northern term for a small stream) where again we found very few mushrooms in our first hours of searching.  When I finally got to my go-to patch above the Slaughterhouse Ravine the sun was dipping towards the treetops, but the ‘shrooms were standing tall.  As darkness fell I stumbled out of the woods with several pounds of morels and five hours of walking behind me.  Dad had headed for home much earlier and was stunned to see me arrive with my “catch”.

Sunday morning I headed to the Bald Knob, my second favorite hunting area on The Farm, to start cleaning up our trails that were littered with debris from some late summer logging last year.  Is it odd that I never bother to rake my yard to remove leaves or sticks, but I spend hours raking woods trails?  Don’t answer, I already know.  While I raked the woods my dad disked our deer food plot on the Sand Flat.  A healthy food plot combined with the fresh cutting on the Knob…I’m almost shuddering as I think about how thick the deer will be in that area this fall.  Like shooting fish in a bucket.


As I worked today I thought of how I might write this blog entry; what I’ve written was in the plan but now that I see it on a screen I notice all the names.  Trust me, you’ve read but a glimpse of the named spots on The Farm.  Most people want to find a place where everybody knows their name; I like going where there isn’t anybody and every place has a name.  I’ve returned from The Farm to write this in my house that isn’t home, in the city that I’ll never be from, in a part of the world I’ve never loved…and that’s ok, because The Farm will always be waiting to welcome me back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment