Monday, May 23, 2016

Should I stay or should I go?

Is it better to have the right job in the wrong place, or the wrong job in the right place?  This is the dilemma I’ve wrestled with for several weeks as I’ve looked at multiple job openings, applied for several, interviewed for a couple, and turned down one offer.  A different offer may be on the way in a day or two; actually, it will be the final offer, as this potential job is the last possibility out of the openings I’ve applied for.  So again, right job wrong place or wrong job right place?

My current job feels right.  The place it's in has slowly become wrong.  Can the enjoyment gained from doing what I like overpower the drain of doing it in a place I don’t?  Would being in a better place matter if I didn’t really like what I was doing?  A dilemma, this is.  A clear answer, there is not.  Take a leap of faith, I must.

Last week was offer one and interview two, with interview one being the week prior.  For roughly a week and a half I’ve been consumed by the questions I’ve put forth above.  I’ve barely blogged.  I’ve withdrawn from Tweeting.  Sleep has been scattered and mood swings frequent.  So now, finally, I put the debate in my head on a screen before my eyes.  Kinda wish I’d have done this a week ago.

I keep looking back at the two questions in paragraph two.  I’ve mentally played with those questions a little bit but have never made myself answer either one until right now.  The answers I’ve settled on are “maybe” and “no”….which leads to a third answer, the answer to a question as yet unasked – “Would you like to come teach with us?”.  If that question comes, I’m going to have to say “no”.

The luckiest folks love where they are and what they do.  Having one of those be true is better than risking having neither be true, which is what I’d be doing at a brand new job.  So I’ll settle for being lucky enough to do something I enjoy.  I’ll stop putting energy towards searching for greener grass and instead start fertilizing the grass where I’m at….yeesh, that sounds disgusting.  I’m also going to stop rambling on about this personal conundrum – but I’d love to read a comment or two on this topic.  Anyone out there been through this struggle?  What did you choose?  Did it work out?


As always, thanks for reading.  Stay tuned - I have a feeling this blog (and this decision) is more of a beginning than an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment