Monday, April 25, 2016

The Best Awful Day

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve looked back on a day and decided it could never be surpassed in its totality of awfulness.  Life, being fair and just with her ups and downs, finds ways to prove me wrong again and again….and again.  Funny thing about Life, though – she seems to revel in unpredictability more than punishment, proven yesterday (Saturday) as she pieced together what was, as of Friday evening, sure to be this week’s version of the worst day ever.

Daughters 1 and 2 are both volleyball players.  When I was school-aged, volleyball season came around once a year, in the fall, for a couple of months.  At some point between those school days of mine and these school days of now, Life decided one volleyball season wasn’t dreadful enough for those of us who aren’t fans of the sport; now we have a spring volleyball season, too!  Wait, disclaimer: I do like the sport, and can even enjoy watching two skilled teams play each other.  Watching unskilled play?  Nauseating.  Back to Saturday…

Daughter 2 had a tournament with her 6th grade team.  Her mom coaches Daughter 1’s team and has been at volleyball tournaments every weekend for a month; to give Mom a weekend off I agreed to be the driver for Saturday’s tournament.  All ingredients were in place for “worst day ever” status – the weather was predicted to be beautiful as we sat inside, the tourney site was two hours away so getting up early was a must, the tourney schedule had the potential to last until 7:30 p.m., and did I mention I’d be watching little girls play bad volleyball all day?  Just for fun Life took away all hopes of productivity and/or distraction by putting the tourney at a school with password protected WiFi (which we discovered shortly after arrival), meaning when I wasn’t watching my daughter play I had little choice but to watch all the other daughters play.  Bad volleyball, in case you’d forgotten.  As I arrived back home – at 10:30 p.m.!!! – I reflected on the awful, awful day and realized…..I couldn’t think of anything that was awful at all.

We had a beautiful morning drive, half of which was through a piece of Minnesota neither of us had ever seen.  We heard songs we loved and songs we hated and even a few we agreed on.  We visited for stretches and rode in silence at times, either way enjoying the rare chance to be just the two of us.  Hutchinson, our destination, was a beautiful city.  We ate lunch at a sub shop with outdoor seating which we took full advantage of and had another great conversation between mouthfuls and drinks.  To top off our day we stopped at our favorite ice cream chain on the way home for the tastiest supper of the week.

The tourney itself was long but I will save my rant about the utter ridiculousness of today’s youth sports for another time…and despite sitting through 10 hours of bad volleyball I came away feeling extremely thankful I had the opportunity to be there.  My daughter’s team played better and better with every game, their coach did a wonderful job of putting team play and individual playing time ahead of winning, and the atmosphere surrounding the tourney was much more positive than I expected - respectful coaches, cheering fans, and dozens of girls having a really good time.  The best part of the whole thing?  The smile on Daughter’s face when she stood tall and delivered a serving streak to seal a win and her goal of bringing home a medal.  Throughout the day we talked between games about leadership and grasping the moment and intensity and working with a team and what it takes to reach goals - the sort of stuff that parents and sports are supposed to teach kids.  The smile on her face was for the win – the look in her eye was the realization of new growth as a player and person.  A very proud moment for both of us.

Daughter 2 wasn’t alone in learning Life lessons on a long Saturday.  Shame on me for judging a day with my little girl as a punishment or potentially awful.  Shame on me, and perhaps many of us, for doing the same thing too often – writing off a day before we even live it.  Bad days are as inevitable as good days, but who are we to judge which is which before the sun comes up?  And even if we do hold judgment until darkness falls maybe we can find some diamonds and pearls sprinkled amongst the happenings of even the most awful of days.  If joy can be found nestled inside 10 hours of bad volleyball it can be found anywhere.


Life, you sly lady, thank you for saving the “worst” day of the week for my daughter and I.  I can’t wait to have another one.  But would it kill you to send some rain the day of the tourney instead of the day after next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment