Thursday, February 18, 2016

Scratching Out A New School

For the past nine months I have spent an irreplaceable amount of time pondering what a school should look like.  My district passed a bond referendum last spring, enabling us to add a new wing to one of our elementary buildings.  As a member of the design team tasked with planning this new addition I toured facilities and met with architects in an effort to create a structure that would fit our students’ needs and our budget.  Being woefully underwhelmed at what our new “building” will be I have continued to longingly ponder exactly how I would construct a learning environment if given the true power to do so.

Intrigued was I with a lunchtime Twitter post posing this question:  “If you were to start a school from scratch, what would it look like?”  It has been roughly ten hours since I began to formulate an answer and somehow what I am about to write will sound nothing like my initial thoughts.  In fact, this has been a therapeutic exercise that has shifted my mindset about our future facility and what a school really is.

Two words kept gnawing at me all day while I mentally crafted my response to this question I had already been answering for weeks.  “From scratch” conjures the image of baking or cooking; recipes, ingredients, cookware, taste tests, a final product.  Much of the food I consume is created from scratch – I rarely eat out or buy processed foods – so my thoughts about creating a school began to align with the process of creating food…which led to a new question:  Why do I create my food from scratch?  It’s a healthy way to eat.  I feel more connected to food that I have created myself.  I have true ownership over the food I create with nearly all meats and vegetables used being gathered by my hands.  When I create my own food I have a much stronger desire to end with a high quality final product.  These answers about my food have, in turn, formed the vision for my school – my “from scratch” school will be healthy because of the connectivity and ownership felt by those striving to create a high quality final product.  My school will not be created out of bricks or wood.  Layout and design are irrelevant.  My school creation will start with people.

In my 18 years of teaching I have yet to see the size of a classroom engage or inspire a learner.  Nor have I heard students converse about the great natural lighting in this year’s classroom.  Too many educators get suckered into believing that things beyond themselves hold the greatest power in education.  From technological devices to ergonomic furniture to meditative music, nothing has a greater influence over a child’s development than the quality of the human connections in that child’s life.  I know, I know – natural light boosts test scores…but can it tell a good joke or redirect off-task behavior?  I would rather my own children be taught in a dark room by a personable teacher than in the sunshine by a teacher who doesn’t know when to laugh, when to grump, when to scold, and when to hug.  My school will be shaped by people, warmed and lit by people, and held together by people.  Well paid people I might add since, you know, we won’t have any heating or lighting expenses…’cause of the people warming and lighting the place.  Ugh, never mind.


This has become a three-part blog.  With today’s first part you have, hopefully, been given a taste of my school’s flavor with the knowledge of its main ingredient.  Tomorrow I will share the entire recipe, the human elements that will create this “from scratch” school.  Part three will be devoted to the ingredients that will stay in the cupboard, the features of schools I find unnecessary, wasteful, and impeding.  Thank you for reading.  Until tomorrow……

No comments:

Post a Comment