Friday, November 18, 2016

The month of "should haves"...

I drove north again tonight for the final weekend of rifle season, hoping to take down at least one adult deer to go along with the two small deer I've already shot.  You remember the north country - sunny, warm, gentle southerly breezes.  Yeah, that stuff is history.  Tonight there are six inches of new snow on the ground and a northwest wind that makes the 26 degrees feel at least ten degrees colder.  My three hour drive took five hours.  Most of my journey was through more than six inches of snow; the worst area had well over a foot of snow, unplowed roads, and heavy snow still falling.  Gas stations were closing early.  State highways were shut down.  Only fools would dare travel on a night like tonight.  I should have stayed home.

This whole month has been a frustrating series of "should haves."  Should have hunted Stand A on the opener instead of Stand B.  Should have taken the second week of the season off instead of the first.  Should have shot the big doe I saw on Opening Day.  Should have drove up here last night instead of tonight.  Should have left a couple of hours earlier today.  Should have stayed home this weekend and come up next weekend to bow hunt instead.

I can't stand "should haves", especially when others use them on me.  Nothing easier in the world than to be a "should have" adviser - not much risk in looking backwards and making claims on something that can never happen or be proven effective.  But now I've got myself so tied in knots over all of the things I should have done differently these past couple of weeks that I can't figure out what to do tomorrow.  Should I walk or sit?  Go north, east, or west?  Hunt fields or woods?  Every time I think I've made a plan I second-guess it....I'm starting to wonder if I should channel my inner Costanza and do the opposite of whatever seems like the best idea.

Despite my confusion about tomorrow I am quite sure of a few things right now.  I'm very thankful to be safe and well with an uncrashed car after a terrible drive.  I'm thankful also for another opportunity to hunt for a couple more days.  I'm excited....excuse me, cautiously enthused for tomorrow's hunt.  For whatever reason the first snowfall of the year tends to really get the deer up and moving.  Throw in the predicted sunshine and some lighter winds - tomorrow could be the day.

As I wrap up this short post an idea has emerged from the churning confusion about my game plan for Day 10 - I'm going to let history be my guide.  I'm going to consult my Deer Diary, read up on the entries I've made on days of new snow, and make my decision based on what I should have done on those days when I found fresh tracks in fresh snow.  I've filled a small notebook with hunting details for over a decade...it's time to make a data-driven decision based on those details.  I'll be back tomorrow night with the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment