Thursday, April 28, 2016

...and somewhere hearts are light.

I teach in Mudville.  No, that’s not the name of my community – it’s the name of my classroom.  You’re familiar with Mudville, aren’t you?  No, I don’t mean my classroom, I mean the literary setting for the classic baseball poem Casey At The Bat.  Mighty Casey?  The Mudville Nine?  Sheesh, didn’t your parents love you enough to read classic stories to you?  My apologies.

Back to Mudville (the room).  When I left my longtime classroom to become our building’s Title I teacher I moved into a place known as the “Lit Lab”.  “Lit” being short for “literature”…of which there was plenty…collecting dust on shelves.  Job number one was to get that literature off of shelves and into classroom libraries.  Job two was to come up with a new name.  Catchy alliteration aside, Lit Lab held little meaning to kids and made no sense once the literature left the location.

Most of the kids who visit my room find school very difficult and not very enjoyable.  I wanted the name of my classroom to be intriguing, inspiring, unique, and fun.  I should stop calling it “my” classroom; I share this room with a fantastic fleet of paraprofessionals, so I wanted a name that could reflect the teamwork that occurs every day inside its walls.  It took several months, but when I Love To Read month came along with a superhero theme our room’s name came along with it.  We became…The Bat Cave.  Batman and the Bat Girls.  The Caped Crusaders of reading achievement.  I even had a Batmobile (thanks to my blown Achilles I got to spend a couple of months wheeling around on a knee scooter).  Suddenly kids were laughing and smiling because they “got to” go to the Bat Cave instead of “having to” go to the Lit Lab.

A new year brought a new name.  I read Casey At The Bat last spring on the MN Twins Opening Day and instantly realized that Mudville, the town Casey played in, was going to be our new name.  My para team could still be the Bat Girls, referring to baseball bats this time.  Kids could learn a thing or two about classic literature.  The name Mudville is kind of funny, meaning we still got smiles and chuckles from kids while they got used to the new name.  And every kid in school, every kid, knows where Mudville is, even though most kids never use the room.  I daresay there are not more than one or two other locations in the school that kids know so well.

Moral of the story?  Find ways to have a little fun in school.  I’m pretty serious about making kids get serious about learning to read but not so serious to bypass opportunities to make my job, and the kids’ job, a little more enjoyable.  Fun doesn’t have to come in explosive and loud forms; I posit it’s the subtle moments of fun that create the strongest opportunities to connect with kids.  A quick joke, a gentle tease, or an interesting name above the door of a classroom bring smiles to faces, relax bodies, and open pathways for learning.


Who says there’s no joy in Mudville?

No comments:

Post a Comment