Friday, February 19, 2016

Scratching Out A New School, Part Next

In yesterday’s blog I poured the foundation for the school I would create from scratch, the foundation being people.  I am not interested in the size of the school, the layout of the hallways and classrooms, the colors, the gadgets, the lighting, or even the bathrooms.  The focus in my from-scratch school is on the humans who will teach and the humans who will learn.

My school from scratch will educate children ages pre-birth – ten years old.  We will educate pre-birth by connecting with expectant families through prenatal classes at our community hospital, explaining simple ways to strengthen reading skills at home during the infant and toddler stages of life.  We would not abandon families through these stages; we will offer…..no, require family participation in our Early Childhood classes within the first month after birth.  This bond with the family will continue throughout the ten years each child attends our school. 

During the 4-6 year-old stage students will begin to independently attend school, though the family will still be looked at as a partner in the educational process.  Our school will replace grade levels with developmentally appropriate academic and behavioral standards that students must meet.  Rather than a first grade teacher children would have a first teacher (4-6 year-old standards), a second teacher (7-8 year-old standards) and a third teacher (9-10 year-old standards).  The detailed explanation of this system would need its own blog post – trust me, I have the details.

A school created for the youngest learners will cater to young minds and bodies.  The school day will start (7:00-7:30ish) and end (2:00) earlier than traditional schools.  Up to four recess periods would be built into the daily schedule, with NO indoor recesses because of weather.  School will be in session for 12 months with at least 200 student contact days; long summers off will be replaced by frequent smaller breaks (the maximum break will be two weeks…..in early November).  The topic of the day, every day, will be F-U-N.  Our school will pulse with the philosophy that learning flourishes when students are having fun.

The ideas I have for this from-scratch school mean nothing without a dynamic staff of teachers in place.  The staff I envision would be as close as possible to a 50-50 split of male and female teachers.  I have no preference for one gender or the other….ok, fine, I prefer the ladies….but our youngest students deserve more male teachers than they currently get.  Also, I firmly believe that loading a staff too heavily with one gender poses threats to cohesiveness and moral; making learning fun requires a fun group of teachers who love their students and each other.  I will get in trouble for this, buuuuuuttttttt…….my school will need a young staff.  I am a few years away from not being qualified to teach at my own school because of my age.  The youngest students require an incredible amount of energy from their teachers, and in a school that will focus on fun each and every day, well – older bodies and spirits might not be able to provide what the students and I will demand.

The most important quality I will look for in a potential teacher is mindset; to be specific, a realistic mindset.  I do not want optimists, I am not interested in how full someone’s glass is, and I absolutely do not need to see a constant smile on everyone’s face.  I want teachers who can view a situation and see what is right and wrong, weigh both, and proclaim what CAN be done next.  Not necessarily proclaim a positive outcome – this is where the realistic part comes into play – but a real outcome that could be expected from whatever the circumstances may be.  The teachers in my school need to be upbeat, energetic, full of laughter and easy smiles, creative, playful…but not without the ability to call a spade a spade if necessary.


As I read and reread these paragraphs I cannot decide if I have been too detailed or too vague with my explanation of the people who make my school – somehow it feels like I have been both.  In a nutshell, I would create a school specifically for children ages 10 and under by assembling a staff of youngish men and women dedicated to teaching with fun while maintaining a realistic attitude about all things.  In tomorrow’s post I will point out what my school will NOT have; if I have not already written myself a ticket to the dark side of the moon with these first two diatribes, tomorrow could be the day.  Until then – thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment